Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ali's birthday....................


Today is Alistair's birthday. We go way back, Ali and me. To give our relation a name, I think we are family friends. But I know that we are a lot more than just that. Ali's dad, Jerry uncle and my dad have been best friends and Ali's mom and my mother have been the best of friends. Naturally we've been together a lot. Ali has been one of the greatest influences of my life. The 8 year difference between us becomes non-existent because of the greatness of the man. I will never understand how he manages to tolerate someone so much smaller than himself.

Today I'm reminded of Ali's last year's birthday party. Annette, Ali's sister (and also one of the best sisters I'll ever have), had arranged for it on their terrace and it was a complete surprise for him. All our friends from church, the whole of YES ,i.e. Youth Experiencing Salvation, our church youth club, was there; well almost all. We had a blast!!! But the best part of the day was something for which I had started preparing the previous day...............

I had my I.I.T (Engineering) entrance exams the previous day. I was extremely under-prepared and was like fish out of water amongst all the nerds. I finished my paper way before the stipulated time but I had to wait in that examination hall till everyone has given their papers. Maybe it was the fact that I was one of the most intellectual places in the country that put into my head the thought of using my time to write a poem, a poem for Ali. So there was born my first poem, at my I.I.T. entrance exam. (There is something about this family that arouses my linguistic talents. Previously I had written a song for Jerry uncle and Vanita aunty’s 25th wedding jubilee). I finished the poem at my house the next afternoon. Ann was the only person who knew that I was writing a poem for Ali. During the party, in the evening, while everyone was huddled together for a photograph I broke away, took out a piece of paper from my pocket and read this poem to him. I think it was a nice surprise for Ali. The smartest thing I did was after I finished reading, I ran to restore the volume of the music I had reduced before my recital because Ali was getting up to hug me. I would have probably cried if I would have hugged him right after the recital, given my hyper-active tear glands. But in the end no one cried and the day was saved.

Here’s the poem I wrote:

About a man

I’ll talk about a man; you may or may not know,

And thru this small poem, I’ll try about him something to show.


Tall, fair and handsome; with a paunch for a belly.

He’s a huge guy and can easily take down many.


He’s as lazy as a sloth and sleeps like a log,

But when there’s work at hand he’s always ready to slog.


He’s got a beauty of a mind with a slight violent bend,

But that wouldn’t matter much cause he’s got a good heart in the end.


No matter how big he’ll get or no matter how smart;

I know that he will always be a silly kid at heart.


A perfect blend of maturity and madness, is what he’s achieved,

And I hope with the same attitude in life he’ll always proceed.


I’ve known him for some time now, and he’s always been this way.

And by the looks of it I don’t think he’s ever gonna change.


Reminiscing the old times is one of his delights,

It amazes me how he recollects them all with the clarity of daylight.


With qualities of love, humility and wisdom has he been endowed.

All the blessings of heaven God, in His providence, on him has bestowed.


The girl who marries him, Oh! How blessed will she be.

A more blessed girl my eyes will never see.


Indebted to this man, forever I will be

For tolerating me when I was as irritating as can be.


To God I pray to grant all health, wealth, prosperity and fame;

To this man – Alistair Bangera by name.

From U’r lovin bro–

Enoch Soans.

(Written partly during the JEE ’07)

P.S:- It’s been a year now since I wrote my first poem and it’s been a year since I wrote my last. What a shame!!! I guess it’s just lack of quality inspiration.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dats a nice one boy..
da only tin new 2me was u writin da poem durin ur entrance exam